Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sleepless by Cyn Balog

My Sandman must be a little too good at his job. I have to be his best charge. I love sleep and he has no problem dowsing me with sand each night (too the point where I struggle to get out of bed each morning)….wait, doesn’t that mean he’s not good at his job? Darn it! I bet Griffin is my Sandman! lol

As you can see, this story stuck with me. It was fun and sweet. I had a little trouble getting started with this book, but I will blame that on my busy schedule and not the story itself. Sleepless is about Sandmen (incase you couldn’t tell from my tangent above. Eron De Marchelle is a Sandman and he has been one for 100 years. This is the term that each Sandman must fulfill his duties before he (or she) can return to a human life and complete their unfinished business. Eron has always followed the rules, been a model employee. That is all about to change when he starts to train his replacement.

Griffin Colburn is dead, leaving behind his girlfriend, Julia. He was offered a chance to return to his human life after he completes 100 years as a Sandman. He is to be Eron’s replacement. Griffin is having a difficult time letting go of his life and Julia. When his best friend Bret sets his sights on Julia, Griffin is determined to prevent his advances. Eron now has bigger problems then inserting his 1910 experience2010 world. Eron will have to make sure than Griffin fulfills his duties as a Sandman so that Eron can become human while protecting his charge, Julia (whom he loves) from Griffin’s tirade. But spending time in both worlds is difficult and Eron never knows when or for how long he will be able to exist in human form.

Julia is dealing with the death of her boyfriend. She is once again in the spotlight. Her boyfriend’s best friend is suddenly making passes at her and now an incredibly hot stranger has popped into her life. Why is it that Eron seems so familiar to her? As her curiosity and attraction grows for Eron her life becomes more confusing and more dangerous.

The story is told from two points of view, Eron and Julia. I really liked this book, but I wish it had been a little longer. As I mentioned before I have been a little busy lately, but I had a hard time getting through the first 70 pages or so, which is a third of the book. After those first 70 pages I was hooked, but some might lose interest before then. Cyn Balog had a great plot for this book and I feel like in the end it turned out to be a great read, but she could have bulked this story up.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails