Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen by Serena Valentino

While this book was very well written I found it hard to get through. I am usually pretty good at picking books that I will enjoy which is why most of the books I read/review get such high star ratings but this one was simply a bad choice for me. Don’t misunderstand, I think that the story was well thought out and interesting enough it was just not my taste. I don't have anything negative to say about the book. I was just kind of bored reading it.

The story focuses on the life of the Wicked Queen from the Snow White fairy tale. What could have made the Wicked Queen “wicked”? Where did the mirror come from and who is the man in the mirror who speaks to the Queen? These are the questions that will draw the reader into this book. The story takes place hundreds of years ago, it is not a modern retelling of the story. This is literally another side of the Snow White story that Disney produced in 1937. The characters were good and it held pretty true to the classic story near the end. I recommend that anyone who is thinking about this one pick it up and read the first few chapters in the store just to make sure you are going to like it. It is very "Disney" I hope that explains it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails