Monday, August 9, 2010

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Clarissa Fray “Clary” is expecting a typical night out with her best friend Simon when she heads to the Pandemonium Club. Clary certainly was not expecting to witness a murder, but she can’t deny that the strangest part about the situation is that no one else can see them but her. Clary is quickly thrown into a world that she never knew existed, where Shadowhunters are responsible for ridding the earth of demons. Jace, Isabelle, and Alec are Shadowhunters and they are just as surprised as Clary that she can see them. After all Clary is just a mundane human right?

When Clary’s mother is taken and Clary is attacked by a Ravener demon it is Jace who saves her and brings her back to the Institute. It becomes evident that Clary is not a “mundie” and her mother has been hiding more then she could have imagined. Now Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Alec, and Simon all have there part to play in the search for the Mortal Cup, Jocelyn Fray, and the truth.

I must admit that I was not happy about how a few things turned out (If you have read this you know exactly what I am referring to), but I am confident that it will turn out to be false. *clasps hands and prays “Dear God don’t let it be true”* Other then that little glitch I absolutely loved this book. It has a lot going on so it is almost impossible to put down. In fact as soon as I finished the last page I headed straight to the bookshelf to grab “City of Ashes.” I think my favorite character is Jace and not just because he is gorgeous. You can tell that he cares about Clary a lot as the story progresses but based on the hints to his background it is apparent that he has been conditioned to view love as a weakness. He fights his feelings and hides behind is cocky attitude to keep from being hurt (think about the falcon story).

To be honest I think that all the characters are really well developed within this series. The reader is really able to climb into their heads and understand why they are the way they are. Like so many other books this one was recommended to me a long time ago and I kept pushing it back. I really regret not reading this sooner. Sorry Ollie I should have listened to you!

Feel free to tell me who your favorite character is and why? I would love to discuss. Also no spoilers but if you can tell me if the “situation” gets better in book 2 I can stop mourning it…. lol

Oh and BTW – Most of you will laugh at me but now I get the whole MundieMoms blog name…I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed lol

11 comments:

Smash Attack Ash said...

A phenomenal series, indeed!

Jace is hands down my favorite in the series! I love his snarky, sarcastic, self-involved, witty comments.

Feel free to stop by my blog and see the Series Spotlight I recently posted on MI. It is a fav of mine!

And, things don't get better until City of Angels. It is a torturous read! :/

Anne said...

oh no! That is so horrible! Grrr! At least the rest of the stroy is amazing enough to overlook the temporary flaw ;) I will check out your MI spotlight too!

Sara said...

It took me forever to read these too, but not as long as you! :)

You must read CLOCKWORK ANGEL as soon as possible - it's fantastic!

Anne said...

It probably isn't an issue because I think I will finish book 2 & 3 before its released but do you think I should wait until I finishe City of Glass to read Clockwork Angel?

Dana said...

Great review! Go ahead and finish reading the next two books. I think you will only appreciate Clockwork Angel more and be a bit more curious about things.

Love these books! Great world and fantastic characters!!!
I love Magnus!

Day @Paperback Dolls

Edilax said...

I love Jace & Clary!
I am anxiously waiting for all the translated books.
Greetings from Brazil!

Anne said...

Hey! Brazil? I wish I was in Brazil! ;) I cant wait to read the whol series! From what I hear the whole thing is 9 books if you count Infernal Devices....Very exciting!

Anne said...

And Day....I see you have a great MI contest on you blog. I linked to it in the sidebar for others who are interested :) I know I am putting my entry in!

Anonymous said...

TMI is filled with twist and turns, that nothing is for sure. Until the end at least. And even then - who knows?

Magnus is the best.

Anne said...

Magnus had a smaller role in CoB. He must be a more prominant character in the next books. He is popping up as lots of peoples fav character.

Magnus Bane...I cant wait to find out more! :)

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I kept thinking of the similarities between this book and Harry Potter books as I was reading this. Am I the only one? Here is my list of those similarities. Have any more?
-Anne Bennett
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/city-of-bones-by-cassandra-clare.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails