Monday, April 5, 2010

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

The nice thing about creating this blog and committing to review every book I read it that I get to revisit the books that I read months ago in order to properly review them. Although this is a lot of work it is also a lot of fun. The Hollow was a book that I read a while back (Nov 2009). So I had to flip through it to jog my memory on some of the finer points of the book. Another bonus to this is that it is preparing me for the next book in the series “The Haunted,” which is set to release August 31, 2010!

I did enjoy this book; my one complaint is that I feel like we are left with too many questions. As I have already mentioned this is a series so let me say that it is always important to leave the readers wanting more, but The Hollow just kind of ends. I think I literally said “That’s it?” out loud after reading the last page. The potential for the overall story is very good. I thought the plot was great and Abby was easy to relate to.

The story starts in the aftermath of Abby’s best friend’s death/disappearance. Kristen and Abby were inseparable until Kristen vanished from the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Even though the town has pronounced her dead Abby refuses to believe that her best friend is really gone. After the funeral Abby meet Caspian. Caspian is mysterious and gorgeous and to Abby’s surprise he seems to be fascinated by her. Abby begins meeting Caspian by the river in hopes of finding out what he may be hiding and for the sheer thrill of being with him.

While searching for answers Abby is met with even more questions. Who was Kristen meeting the night she vanished? Why was she keeping secrets from Abby? And the answers that she does find could shatter her assumptions about who she is and the world she lives in.

I hope that the next books explains more about what happened to her best friend, what is the deal with Caspian, and why she is important to him. I know the series as a hole will be good (I am truly confident in that) but this book on its own left me frustrated. Don't let that discourage you from reading it through because the writer is good and I am confident she will deliver a great series.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails