Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

This book was amazing! There is a lot of symbolism in this story which I always love. The romance is this book is approached differently as well. In the first few pages you know who the love story will refer to (I U typo..once you read it you will know what I mean) but the story does not focus on their romance relationship. I am always a sucker for a good catch phrase and this book has a great one. “Sometimes a girl needs to lose.” I think that it really sets up the theme of the book. The story is about losing yourself and finding yourself again and sometimes (like the line suggests) it is the mistakes, wrong turns, and failed relationships that shape who we are and the decisions we make in the future. I really enjoyed reading this book and rooting for Naomi, Will, and even James.

It all starts with a coin toss. Namoi and Will are headed home when they realize they forgot something at school. Who should go back for it? I guess fate will decide. Namoi loses the toss...and so begins the chain of event that lead to her waking up in an ambulance with amnesia. She can not remember the last 4years. Not her boyfriend, her mom's new family, her dad's fiancée, or even her passion for yearbook.

Her best friend Will is just about the best friend that I could imagine having. He is always so understanding and always puts Naomi before himself and what he wants (which it turns out is Naomi). James is the troubled boy who rescues Naomi and helps distract her from the stress of losing her memories. What if your slate was wiped clean? Would you like the same things? Like the same people? Be the same person? Once again I really liked this book. It is very thought-provoking. I recommend this book to all!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails