Sunday, March 14, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I usually feel pretty confident that I will enjoy the books I read because I tend to seek them out. This was one that I had read the synopsis for and saw the cover and immediately put in my to-read pile. I started this book thinking it was going to be about ghosts or something since the synopsis talks about graves and curses, but I was wrong. This is a book about witches or Casters as they are called in Beautiful Creatures. I warn some reads about the length of this book. It is quite long and the pace does slow in the middle of the book for a while. Just hang in there though. The reason it lags a little is because this is going to be a series (at least four planned, that I know of) and they have to lay a lot of foundation in order to set up future books. This also means that you can expect that you will have a lot of unanswered questions at the end too.

Lena Duchannes is new to the small Southern town of Gatlin. She is seen as an outsider and a bit strange by her classmates. Lena is struggling to conceal her increasing power and escape a curse that has haunted her family for generations. She is living in the oldest and most infamous plantation with her uncle (the town shut in). Lena only has herself and her eccentric family to help her deal with her coming fate until she meets Ethan.

Ethan Wate has been haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. He feels compelled to protect her even though he does not even know who she is. Then Lena moves into town and suddenly Ethan know that she is so much more then what she seems. Ethan is drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. The connection is far more powerful then either of them could have imagined and is rooted in the past.

The clock is ticking and time is running out.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails